What kind of food do they eat in Ecuador?
Ecuador Food and Drink
- Cuy: Roast guinea pig.
- Locro: Soup of potatoes, corn, cheese and avocado.
- Empanadas: Corn pasties stuffed with meat, cheese or vegetables.
- Llapingachos: Cheesy potato cakes.
- Seco de chivo: Goat stew usually served on special occasions.
- Ceviche: Raw seafood ‘cooked’ in lime and chilli.
What is the most famous food in Ecuador?
Shrimp ceviche or cebiche is one of the most traditional dishes in Ecuador, especially on the coast of the country. Though shrimp ceviche is very popular since in Ecuador the shrimp is of the highest quality, also famous are Conch, fish and other seafood ceviches are also very famous.
What do Ecuadorians drink for dinner?
Traditional Ecuadorian Drinks
- Canelazo. There’s nothing quite like a Canelazo to warm yourself up on cold and rainy nights in Quito. …
- Colada Morada. …
- Chicha de Piña (Ecuadorian oatmeal pineapple drink) …
- Horchata Tea. …
- Colada de Avena con Naranjilla. …
- Aguardiente. …
- Rompope. …
- Guanabana Juice.
Why do Ecuadorians eat guinea pigs?
“The guinea pig is a very important ancient food in Andean indigenous societies, especially for its high protein content,” she said. Other cultures eat various types of animals, Páez said, “so there is no reason to be amazed that Ecuadorians eat guinea pigs, even in ice cream.”
Do Ecuadorians like spicy food?
Ecuadorian food is mild but you will almost always be offered “Ají” to spice it up. … All of them are great spiced up with Ají (hot pepper sauce), provided you like hot sauce.
What is dinner like in Ecuador?
Ecuadorian main meals, especially at lunch or almuerzo time, usually consist of meat, poultry or seafood with side dishes of rice and/or potatoes, a small salad, plantains (ripe or green), and some hot sauce on the side.
What is a traditional Ecuadorian breakfast?
Breakfast — The typical breakfast in Ecuador is quite simple, usually anchored by scrambled eggs and potatoes or rice. Pancakes are often an option, though they might be oilier and crispier than the pancakes you’re used to. Breakfast is often served with fruit, toast, corn tortillas, and coffee.